Friday, May 2, 2008

Who the Heck am I?

As far as I know, I’ve got the only Y chromosome out of 16 chromies in this group. Don’t think anyone cuts me any slack on that account.

I am, in one sense, self-published: I am a storyteller who writes his own stories and tells them all over the place – mostly at school assemblies. Many thousands of children have heard my stories. None have read them.

My current project was originally intended as a YA novel for boys. I think of it as speculative fiction. But because it has a medieval setting, it might be pigeonholed as fantasy – even though there’s no magic, no elves or dragons, not much blood. So maybe it’s really for adults. A later draft will determine that. What it is about is brothers, family, loyalty, honor, duty, responsibility. And very, very strong men.

I work for a union newspaper, published by the UAW. I have been a peace activist (seems pointless now, doesn’t it?). I currently put more effort into environmental causes.

I’m single, with one grown daughter.

No comments: